INTERNSHIPS & PRACTICUMS
Extensive practicums and volunteer internships for both animal care and therapy students.
Animal Behavior Practicums
Practicum volunteers work under the supervision of our experienced animal care team and alongside professional therapists to give our dolphins and clients the highest quality care.
- Assist staff in daily animal care, data collection, dietary preparations, husbandry, dock preparation, animal enrichment, and therapy sessions
- Complete and demonstrate an understanding of educational lectures on topics including animal training techniques and the importance of husbandry
- Must be at least 21 years of age and have completed at least one semester of college
- Must be available for 40 hours/week for 16 weeks
- Must be able to work in a warm climate and in all weather conditions
- Must be able to swim in deep water and pass a swim test upon arrival
We make a commitment to our animal care volunteer interns and practicum students, providing them with an intensive learning experience while also maintaining a safe and responsible environment for the animals we care for.
IDC Therapy Programs Practicums
This volunteer practicum opportunity allows students and young professionals to observe and assist with therapy programs and marine science education programs.
- Assist therapists in all aspects of the programs, including documenting sessions with notes and photographs, prepping therapy rooms, and maintaining the appearance of the facility.
- Work with a diversity of individuals and families of all ages with special needs, critical illnesses, and disabilities, and veterans.
- Assist participants, siblings, and other family members with art or recreational activities.
- Aid with the overall vitality of the organization, including social media, phones, tours, and community outreach.
- Student or young professional in the health sciences such as occupational therapy, physical therapy, special education, kinesiology, speech/language, psychology, etc.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Commit to a minimum of 6 weeks. If a longer timeframe is required for school credit, please indicate on application.
- Be available to volunteer for a 40 hour/week schedule. (Times are subject to vary based on the clients’ needs.)
Develop a trusting, positive relationship with both the dolphins and our animal care staff.
IDC has a variety of educational opportunities.
Animal assisted therapy where trained therapists individualize each session for the participant’s needs—both in the water and in the center.
Scientists can perform various different non-invasive research projects involving our dolphins and our therapy programs.
The joy that exudes from just watching is humbling…one of the most incredible places I’ve ever experienced.”
– IDC Family