Gain hands on experience in both Animal Care and Therapy by participating in one of Island Dolphin Care’s extensive internship programs.
Animal Behavior Internships
Interns work alongside our experienced Animal Care & Training team to provide the highest quality care to our Pod of dolphins and help facilitate life changing therapy programs for our clients.
- Assist staff in daily animal care duties including preparing animal diets, preparing husbandry equipment, and assisting with husbandry procedures, facilitating animal enrichment, participating in training and therapy sessions, and recordkeeping .
- Complete and demonstrate an understanding of educational lectures on topics including animal training techniques, animal welfare, and dolphin anatomy.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have completed at least one semester of college
- Must be available for 40 hours/week for 16 weeks
- Must be able to work in a warm climate and in all weather conditions
- Must be able to swim in deep water
We make a commitment to our interns to provide them with an intensive learning experience which is designed to teach the necessary skills for success in the animal behavior or therapy fields.
Therapy Program Internships
This internship allows students and young professionals to observe and assist with therapy programs and marine science education programs.
- Assist therapists in all aspects of the programs, including documenting sessions with notes and photographs, prepping therapy rooms, and maintaining the appearance of the facility.
- Work with a diversity of individuals and families of all ages with special needs, critical illnesses, and disabilities, and veterans.
- Assist participants, siblings, and other family members with art or recreational activities.
- Aid with the overall vitality of the organization, including social media, phones, tours, and community outreach.
- Student or young professional in the health sciences such as occupational therapy, physical therapy, special education, kinesiology, speech/language, psychology, etc.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Commit to a minimum of 6 weeks. If a longer timeframe is required for school credit, please indicate on application.
- Be available to volunteer for a 40 hour/week schedule. (Times are subject to vary based on the clients’ needs.)
Develop a trusting, positive relationship with both the dolphins and our animal care staff.
Interested in an internship with IDC? Click the button below to download an application. Once filled out, return the application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The joy that exudes from just watching is humbling…one of the most incredible places I’ve ever experienced.”
– IDC Family